March 15, 2010

Grandma Malake's Meat Pies (Lahm B'aajin)















I was debating what recipe I should post next, then immediatly I decided on one of my Grandma's recipes. I am sorry to say my Grandma  passed last week. She was six month shy from her 100th birthday. She was a terrific person, God fearing, kind and selfless, I am lucky I got to know her, and become her student. She was a terrific cook, and she tought me not only how to cook, but how to become a better person. So its only fair to pay a tribute to my Grandma Malake (Queen) may you rest in peace. I love you.


Ingredients:


1 pound ground beef

3 tomatoes diced and drained from liquid

1 onion grated

2 T vegetable oil

2 T pomegranate’s syrup

1 tsp nutmeg

½ tsp cumin

1 tsp sweet pepper

1 tsp salt


1 pizza dough recipe*

Mix all ingredients and prepare dough. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface and cut 3-inch circles. Place on a oiled baking sheet fill with 1 tablespoon of meat mixture and pinch four corners to make a square and bake in 350F oven until crust turn gold.

For Pizza Dough

¼ C warm water

½ tsp sugar

1 package dry active yeast

3 C all purpose flour

2 Tablespoons olive oil

1 Tsp salt

¾ C cool water


1. Prepare dough stir water yeast and sugar in a bowl until dissolved let stand in a warm place 10 minutes until foamy.

2. Place flour oil  salt and yeast mixture in food processor with motor running add water in a steady stream, process until mixture forms a ball, if dough is sticky add a little flour.

3. Turn out dough on a floured surface, knead 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in lightly greased bowl turning to coat. Cover in damp towel let ret 30 minutes in a warm place.

4. Punch down dough divide and shape into 2 equal balls, place on a lightly greased plate. Turning to coat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight remove one hour before baking.



Serves 6-8

0 comments:

Post a Comment